Monday, November 2, 2009

Got a beer for Gaiman

...during his 3 hour long signing at the Arts House on Saturday, but found out he's not a beer guy. (actually it was the pink barracuda who bought that round of Archipelago)

Which reminds me of my beer story when I first met Eddie Campbell in Singapore some years ago. He was in transit and I brought him to the Zion Road market for beer and makan. The drink seller came by with a bottle of Tiger (Eddie wanted to try that) and two glasses filled with ice. That threw Eddie into a fit.

"They're diluting the beer! That's against the law!"

I explained to Eddie that's how we drink beer in Singapore. Our beer gets warm very fast, especially if we're drinking outdoors. Eddie said that you get arrested for diluting beer in the UK. We both learned something new that night.

So what does this got to do with Gaiman? Sometime later, Eddie alerted me about "Green Lantern/Superman: Legend of the Green Flame", an old Gaiman script for DC Comics that finally got drawn and published in 2000. Eddie drew the framing sequence for the story involving a very drunken Blackhawk.

Amanda Palmer drank the beer instead. Yam seng.

1 comment:

Joy said...

These celebrity authors only like to drink champagne. Amanda's a beer drinker, which makes me love her more!