Monday, October 6, 2008

About that comics portal

Several months ago, some of us were talking about building a Singapore comics community portal.

I finally got round to building a prototype a couple of weeks ago, just to test out an open-source wiki engine and figure out some ideas. I've decided not to go with this particular wiki engine -- it's very buggy and I can't do many things I want to do with the portal. For one thing, I can't do a listing of artists' thumbnails suggested by Sonny some time ago. So I'm just going to code the whole thing myself in PHP. An idea I have is to make the portal very social, and allow artists and writers to hook up and collaborate on projects and stuff.

You guys can have a look-see. It's not functional, but all the sections are there -- all those I can think of, anyway. Don't bother clicking on anything -- there's no content whatsoever.
http://singaporecomics.storykitchen.com/

I'd love to hear some ideas for what else might be good to have on the portal. It's meant to be community-driven.

JF

6 comments:

Shaun said...

Hi, I've plugged your post at my blog, and also in these forum threads: here, here and here. Hope it helps

Anonymous said...

I found your new book displayed in Popolar book shop was great!

JF said...

Thanks Shaun -- you the man!

Wellessx -- Whose book are you referring to? Has Shaun published a book?

Shaun said...

jf you're most welcome, glad to help where I can.

Sonny Liew said...

hey jf do you need help filling in the info? get Jerome and Derek and cheng tju to help! :)

Anonymous said...

What i'd really like to see is a comics community or club dedicated to comics. Sure, there are forums for "mainstream" comics, but what about the alternative stuff. It would be good to have some venue for discussions and such of these comics, and i'm not just talkig about MAUS or Blankets. Really going into stuff by lesser known creators like Jeffery Brown and Evan Dorkin.